Barnardo’s – Believe In Children
Barnardo’s support families to improve their relationships with one another by exploring how they communicate and relate to one another.
- We focus on the strengths and values of the family. We build on these strengths to support them to make positive changes and resolve problems.
- We can support parents to talk to their children about difficult subjects and challenges the family have faced, in a non-blaming and non-judgemental way.
- We work with everyone in the family, from infants to grandparents. We understand that families might have significant people in them who don’t live with them, and work with whoever is important for improving family life.
- We can also provide creative Arts Therapy to individual children. This uses creative methods to allow children to express difficult emotions at their own pace. They can be supported to understand muddled feelings and upsetting events that they haven’t had the chance to sort out properly.
Barnardo’s work with families where:
- The parent(s) have or have had drugs and/or alcohol issues.
- There are children living in the family home who are or have been impacted by the parents’ drug or alcohol use.
- The family are currently receiving support from social care under a Child Protection or Child in Need Plan.
- The parent(s) are on the path to recovery so that they are able to attend and engage in the sessions. They must be confident they are stable enough in their recovery to have potentially challenging and difficult conversations during sessions with a low risk of relapse or increased substance use as a result of these conversations.
- Family members are willing to engage in family sessions and want relationships in their family to improve.
- The family can commit to attend a programme of up to 12 sessions.
Email to ask for more information or request a referral form.